It’s that time of year again and you’re invited to the 5th Annual Walk for the Animals on Saturday, May 14 at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott.
The gates open at 7 a.m. and the opening howl for the 1-mile and 5K walks will sound at 8 a.m. Those who cannot attend but still want to help raise money to save lives can do so at this YHS webpage: https://yavapaihumane.org/walkfortheanimals/
The YHS Walk for the Animals helps raise awareness for our community’s many homeless pets by bringing animal lovers and their pets together to have a good time. YHS hopes to raise over $40,000 at this year’s event to help care for more than 3,000 animals YHS expects to rescue this year.
Hundreds of dogs are expected to bring their people to this premier community event. Participants will be able to stroll, run or jog along the beautiful 1-mile or 5K courses. You’ll also enjoy many fun activities; including:
• Strut Your Mutt contest: contestants can enter to win first, second, or third place prizes in any of these categories: Best costume; Best trick; and/or the Look-alike contest
• “Barketplace”: a pet-friendly market of vendor booths, lots of freebies and good pet advice
• Animal wellness tent: providing low-cost canine vaccinations (including rattlesnake) and microchips
• Pet artist: capture the likeness of your pet at this fun event – a great memory
• Guinness World Record: participate in the attempt to win the World Record for the most dogs wearing identical bandanas at the same time in the same place
• Canine Good Citizen testing: find out just how smart your dog really is
• Agility course and rally ring: a playground for dogs wanting to practice new skills
• Kids’ corner: with face painting, a bounce house, and cotton candy
• YHS Thrift Store’s pet boutique: great bargains featuring all things dog and cat
You can register for the Walk at www.yavapaihumane.org/walkfortheanimals. Tickets for adults 18 and older are only $20, tickets for children 12-18 are $10; and children 11 and under are free. Participants can form teams and receive their very own fundraising website to help collect donations.
All proceeds benefit the Yavapai Humane Society, which saved more than 3,200 homeless pets last year. In 2016, YHS is expanding its animal welfare programs to include an equine program in Chino Valley to rescue, rehabilitate and adopt horses.
YHS provides many life-saving programs to help keep pets safe and with their families. The YHS “No-Kill Ethic” means all animals are given every opportunity to find their forever home. Our 97 percent live release rate is one of the highest, not only in Arizona, but in the nation. As a private nonprofit, YHS is not affiliated with any other agency or national organization and relies on your support to provide our many lifesaving programs to our community’s neediest pets.
YHS is thankful to this year’s Walk for the Animals sponsors including Prescott Area Pet Emergency Hospital, Petco, Phoenix Veterinary Referral & Emergency, Prescott Valley Ace Hardware, Doggie Delight Pet Grooming and The Flooring Shack. Please visit and thank our sponsors for their support with your patronage.
Sponsorship opportunities are still available. If your business is interested, contact the YHS Marketing & Development Director at 928-445-2666, ext. 105.
Ed Boks is the executive director of the Yavapai Humane Society. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 928-445-2666, ext. 10