Volunteers are critical to the work we do. Your willingness to get involved brings new energy and expertise to our organization and helps the public better understand how YHS can make a difference to the lives of animals and the people of Yavapai County.
Want to work with the animals? Great! Need a spot where you can protect your heart? We’ve got a place for everyone!
- Adoption Counselors at the shelter and at off-site events
- Customer service and donation sorters at the YHS Thrift Shop
- Phone coverage at the YHS Spay/Neuter Clinic and Lost & Found
- Dog walkers & cat cuddlers
- PetSmart Cat Adoption Center volunteers
- Ambassador at information booths and more!
How Do I Get Involved?
- Complete a volunteer application. Please note, to work directly with the animals, you must be 18 years of age or older. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Schedule an orientation. Our Volunteer Coordinator will set up a time with you to explain our organization and the many ways you can help the animals. Orientations typically last one hour and include a campus tour, so please wear comfortable clothing. Also note that a $15 donation is requested to help cover the cost of training materials and your volunteer t-shirt. If this fee presents a hardship to you, please inform the Volunteer Coordinator at the time you schedule your orientation.
- Get trained and set up your volunteer schedule. The length and requirements of training varies by department, as do volunteer schedules. The department supervisor will show you the ropes and explain scheduling needs. Yavapai Humane Society does request that volunteers give a minimum of 8 hours of their time per month for at least 6 months, in order to make sure that staff time spent training comes back to benefit the animals.
- Stick to a routine, make friends, and communicate. Volunteering is a fun, educational, and very rewarding experience!