Safety Net ApplicationRead More
Community Pet Food BankOur community pet food bank is available to qualifying families through Catholic Charities. Contact them at (928) 778-2531. Our Pet Adoptions Center also has food donations from the public that are available for all pet owners who might need it.
Second Chance Medical ProgramIt could happen to anyone with a pet: You've always managed to give your pet the medical care he or she deserves, but because of unexpected circumstances, you're faced with vet expenses that are far beyond your ability to afford them. Yavapai Humane Society's Second Chance Medical Program is designed to provide needed veterinary care to injured or sick animals whose owners are unable to afford normal veterinary rates. The Second Chance Program, funded by donations and grants, will provide non-basic, non-emergency medical care to pets belonging to clients qualified using Federal Poverty Level guidelines.
How to apply for the Second Chance Medical Program
- Call Yavapai Humane Society's Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic for a phone consultation at 928-771-0547 to determine your eligibility for the Second Chance Medical Program. Our Wellness Clinic professionals will talk you through the process of applying for this program.
- The application process includes an examination, diagnosis, and a completed referral form (which must be obtained from the YHS Clinic) by a licensed veterinarian. Only clients whose pets have been examined, diagnosed, and referred to YHS by a licensed veterinarian will be accepted into the program.
- After qualification and a veterinary exmination, diagnosis, and referral--your veterinarian must submit the Referral Form to our Spay/Neuter & Wellness Clinic.
- Submissions will be accepted via email, mail, or by dropping off your completed and signed referral form at the Clinic. You may call Yavapai Humane Society's Spay/Neuter & Wellness Clinic to obtain a referral form at 928-771-0547.
- Upon receipt of a completed Referral Form a YHS medical staff member will call your veterinarian to discuss the case. Acceptance of a case is at the discretion of the YHS veterinarian and may require an examination of the animal and the medical records supporting the case. The Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic staff will request you to fill out a Second Chance Voucher Application form. When accepted, your veterinarian will be notified of the outcome and any discharge instructions will then be provided. Follow-up and on-going veterinary care will be directed back to your veterinarian. Second Chance procedures are on an outpatient basis: overnight hospitalization will not be routinely offered. Free veterinary services will not be available and all fees will be due at the time of service. Yavapai Humane Society accepts cash, debit or credit cards (personal checks are not accepted).
Financial Aid for Veterinary CareFinancial aid is out there. Here are some steps you can take to cover an emergency veterinary bill:
General Financial Assistance ProgramsAmerican Animal Hospital Association (AAHA): Helping Pets Fund P.O. Box 150899, Denver, CO 80215-0899 866.443.5738 Fax: 720.963.4404 E-mail: gro.s1493574376tepgn1493574376ipleh1493574376ahaa@1493574376ofni1493574376 Vet-I-Care P.O. Box 41, Clarksburg, NJ 08510 609.259.2230 E-Mail: gro.e1493574376rac-i1493574376-tev@1493574376kcuhc1493574376se1493574376 Prince Chunk Foundation P.O. Box 8044, Blackwood, NJ 08012-1522 856.302.6373 E-mail: gro.n1493574376oitad1493574376nuofk1493574376nuhce1493574376cnirp1493574376@ofni1493574376 Financial Assistance Resources Help exists for those struggling to pay veterinary bills (article with resources)
Specialized Financial Assistance ProgramsThe following information describes other programs that offer pet owner/guardians financial help to pay for veterinary bills. Some of these programs are specific to locations in other areas of the county. Most of the programs listed have detailed funding guidelines. The following are summaries. For more detailed information on funding guidelines, please visit the organization's website or contact them using the information provided below. In Memory of Magic
- Limitations: No assistance with routine care or vet care already received; see full list of qualifications online. (Note: Once approved, can raise money from online community of supporters; must communicate online and respond to e-mails within 24 hours.)
- IMOM – www.imom.org
- Financial assistance for life-threatening situations
- P.O. Box 2574, Briarcliff, NY 10510
- E-mail: gro.d1493574376nufte1493574376llubc1493574376igame1493574376ht@li1493574376ame1493574376
- Limitations: Only dogs after diagnosis of cancer; under 10 years old. Family must be incapable of funding cancer treatment without assistance and must correspond online everyday with caseworker and with online community of supporters.
- The Magic Bullet – www.themagicbulletfund.org
- Cancer & dog specific assistance
- 1510 19th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
- E-mail: moc.d1493574376nufte1493574376peht@1493574376ofni1493574376
- Limitations: No routine or preventative care and no treatment where the prognosis for survival beyond six months is 50% or less. Financial assistance for basic, non-emergency care.
- P.O. Box 188890, Sacramento, CA 95818
- E-mail: gro.n1493574376au@of1493574376ni1493574376
- Limitations: No assistance with routine care, ongoing illness, testing/diagnosis, or if vet care already received and pet released from care; see full list of qualifications online.
- Red Rover Relief – 916-429-2457 – www.uan.org
- Financial assistance for victims of domestic violence or adopters/fosters of a homeless pet
- ***Red Rover also maintains a comprehensive directory of other agencies that provide financial assistance some of which are breed or illness specific.***
- 1641 Elizabeth Lane Yuba City, CA 95993
- E-mail: ten.k1493574376nilht1493574376rae@p1493574376aevf1493574376
- Limitations: Cats/kittens only; life-threatening illnesses, injuries, or conditions or one that seriously compromises the quality of life. (Note: Contact them to see if they currently are accepting applications.)
- Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program – www.fveap.org Owner must be on Medicaid, Medicare, welfare or public assistance program, disability or unemployment
- Limitations: Pit Bull or Pit Bull mixes only; spay/neuter, life-threatening conditions and, under certain circumstances, other surgery.
- 8415 Canning Terrace, Greenbelt, MD 20770
- Limitations: West Highland White Terriers/mixes only; one fund for congenital orthopedic conditions, one fund for other medical issues. Dog must have been recently adopted from a credible rescue source. Alternatively, funding may be available in a situation where an individual has rescued a dog who was injured or ill at the time of rescue and would like to provide a permanent home for the dog, or it is determined by a veterinarian that the dog needs medical treatment for a condition that was not readily obvious at the time of rescue. Applications must be submitted no later than 60 days after incurring the expense.
- 3941 Legacy Drive, Suite 204, #A115, Plano, TX 75023
- E-mail: gro.d1493574376embal1493574376@ofni1493574376
- Limitations: Abandoned and/or injured Labrador Retrievers (or Lab mixes displaying "strong Labrador characteristics") in need of rescue; medical conditions that were present at the time of rescue may be eligible for funding if the dog has been examined and a preliminary diagnosis made by a veterinarian within two weeks of the date when the dog was rescued. Medical conditions that are acquired after a dog has been rescued are not eligible for funding.
- c/o Joyce Trittipo, Treasurer, 4038 Cherokee Drive, Madison, WI 53711
- E-mail: gro.d1493574376iaigr1493574376oc@ri1493574376ahcst1493574376narg1493574376">gro.d1493574376iaigr1493574376oc@ri1493574376ahcst1493574376narg1493574376
- Limitations: Rescued Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Pembroke Welsh Corgis, or Corgi mixes; no aid for established personal pets; aid for recently adopted dogs under certain circumstances. Expenses must have been incurred within six months of the application.
- P.O. Box 2496, Goldenrod, Florida 32733-2496
- E-mail: gro.1149357437619nam1493574376rebod1493574376@ofni1493574376 or gro.1149357437619nam1493574376rebod1493574376@sroi1493574376nes1493574376 (senior Dobermans)
- Limitations: Senior and special needs Doberman Pinschers.
- Cancer specific – requires a positive diagnosis, application approval required prior to incurring vet costs
- Financial assistance for physically and mentally challenged individuals, senior citizens, and working poor
- Dog specific, non-emergency financial assistance